Who said vegan barbecue needs to be boring? These Caribbean Skewers are perfect for summer and the pineapple adds an amazing sweetness to them.
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cooking Time: 2 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Servings: 4 people
400 g tofu
2 tbsp pineapple juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1 pinch chilli flakes
180 g fresh pineapple (1/8-1/4)
1. Up to 1 day in advance (min 1 h in advance), marinate the tofu. Put the tofu on a plate, cover it with a cutting board and place some heavy books on it. Let sit for 10 minutes to get excess water out of the tofu. Cut the tofu into large cubes.
2. Finely chop the garlic. Mix with all the other ingredients for the marinade and pour over the tofu. Set in the fridge.
3. Cut the pineapple into bite-sized pieces.
4. Alternatively skewer a tofu cube and a piece of pineapple. (If there is marinade left, use it to spread over the skewers while they are on the barbecue.)
5. Grill the skewers until they golden brown on each side. (If you don’t have a barbecue, use a grill pan with some oil.)