These are my boyfriend's favourite Christmas cookies and I must admit that I love them too. They are very easy to make and you can be creative by trying different the patterns. Grab yourself a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy it with these chessboard cookies.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Portions: 48 cookies
300 g flour
200 g vegan/normal butter (cold)
100 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 g cacao powder
1 tbsp milk (normal or oat)
1. Combine the flour, butter and sugar, and knead into a stiff dough.
2. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and add the cacao powder and milk to one part.
3. Wrap the 2 dough balls in cling foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Roll out the two pieces of dough "light and dark", each 1.5 cm thick. Then cut off individual strips of the same size and 1 cm wide. Put these individual strips into a long chessboard shaped roll. Wrap into cling foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Cover the edges of the chessboard shaped roll with sugar and cut into 1 cm thick slices.
7. Put the cookies on a baking tray with 2-3 cm spacing and bake for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown on the edges.