For me, the perfect dessert to go with coffee are madeleines, and they are so easy to bake at home. You don't need anything special apart from madeleines baking forms which you can get in every cooking or baking shop. I found mine in an antiques shop.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 10-15 mins
Total Time: 25-30 mins
Portions: 20-24 madeleines
175 g butter
150 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lemon (zest)
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
175 g flour
icing sugar (optional)
1. Melt the butter and let it cool slightly to use later.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer for 5-10 minutes until they are white and creamy.
3. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest and salt.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder, and fold into the dough.
5. Last, add the butter to the dough. Put the dough into the fridge for 45 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
7. Grease the madeleine forms with butter and add about 1 tbsp of dough into each form.
8. Bake the madeleines for 12-14 minutes until they slightly golden brown. Take them out of the form carefully and let them cool on a cooling grid.
9. Cover them with icing sugar if desired.