These tofu balls are completely homemade and free from any preservatives. The cashew pieces give them a nice texture, and the olives and smoked pepper make them very strong in taste.
Preparation Time: 35 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Servings: 3-6 people
Portions: 6 skewers
400 g tofu
1 red pepper
100 g cashews
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp tahini or cashew butter
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
10 black olives
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1-2 tsp rosemary (finely chopped)
18 mini peppers filled with cream cheese or without for vegan
1. Cut the pepper into large pieces and put it under the grill until the skin is almost black. Immediately transfer them to a plastic bag and seal it. Let cool for 10 minutes. Peel off the skin and finely chop the pepper.
2. Soak the cashews in hot water for 20-30 minutes. Drain them and chop the cashews.
3. Drain the tofu and put it into a food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Add the garlic, rosemary, nut butter or tahini and tomato paste, and blend again.
4. Put the tofu mixture into a bowl and add the flour. Stir well.
5. Finely chop the black olives. Add the black olives, cashews and pepper to the mixture and knead until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
6. With your hands, form 24 small tofu balls and place them on a tray covered with cling film. Put the tofu balls in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
7. I suggest frying the tofu balls in a pan until they are golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside. Alternatively skewer a fried tofu ball and a cream cheese-filled pepper. Grill the skewers on the barbecue to heat the tofu balls and peppers.