This burger is the star of every barbecue party. It is juicy, full of flavours and only made of healthy ingredients (apart from some sugar in the sauce). It is absolutely delicious!
Preparation Time: 25 mins (+1.5h)
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 70 mins (+1.5h)
Servings: 4 people
Portions: 8 small burgers
400 g spelt flour
70 ml water
7 g dried yeast
20 g brown sugar
135 ml oat milk
1-2 tsp salt
50 g margarine
280 g tinned jackfruit (drained)
1 garlic clove
1 spring onion
1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp apple vinegar
1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 tbsp sugar
400 g tomato cubes
100 ml water
2 tsp smoked paprika powder
1 red pepper
1. Using your hands, mix the yeast with the brown sugar and water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Add the flour and oat milk. Knead into a soft dough.
3. Add the salt and melted margarine and knead for another 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl and let the dough rise for up to 1 hour.
4. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form small balls. Place on a baking tray and let rise for another 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
6. Brush the dough balls with some oat milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Brush with melted margarine as soon as you take them out of the oven.
7. Grill the red pepper until the skin is black, put it in a plastic bag and let rest for 10 minutes. Peel the skin and cut the pepper into thin slices.
8. Drain the jackfruit. Finely chop the garlic and spring onion.
9. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the jackfruit, garlic, spring onion, tomato paste and smoked paprika powder for 3 minutes. Deglaze with apple vinegar, Worcester sauce, water and tomato cubes. Add the sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Set simmer for 30 minutes.
10. Halve the burger buns and grill for 2 minutes.
11. Smash the avocado with a fork. Cut the tomato into slices. Slice the courgette and grill for 2 minutes on each side in a grill pan.
12. Top the burger buns with some smashed avocado, tomato and courgette slices, barbecue sauce and the pulled jackfruit.