This dish screams autumn comfort food. The creamy gorgonzola adds an amazing seasoning to the orzotto which is compensated by the sweetness of the pears. Perfect for a cosy Friday evening.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15-20 mins
Total Time: 30-35 mins
Servings: 4 people
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
350 g red cabbage
1 splash red wine
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 pears (depending on how sweet you want it to be)
450 g orzo
1.4 l vegetable stock
200 g creamy mild gorgonzola
60 g walnuts
3 tsp dried rosemary
1. Finely chop the red onion, garlic and red cabbage (you can also grate the red cabbage).
2. Heat some oil in a large pot and fry the onions for 3 minutes. Add the red cabbage and garlic, and fry for another 3-5 minutes. Last, add the orzo and deglaze with red wine, balsamic vinegar and vegetable stock.
3. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the orzo is cooked. Add more water if needed. Meanwhile, peel the pears and cut them into small cubes. Chop the walnuts and roast them in a small pan until they are golden brown. Save both for later.
4. Stir the gorgonzola into the orzotto (Here it really depends on which gorgonzola you use. if you use a stronger one, 75 g may already be enough. I suggest adding some and taste in between to make sure it won’t be too strong.) Season with salt, pepper and dried rosemary.
5. Add the pears and let them heat for 2 minutes. Top with roasted walnuts and serve.