The best vegan mac'n'cheese ever, I have never eaten a more creamy one. So glad to have had the help of my amazing American friend who used to love mac'n'cheese and follows a vegan diet now. ....and she loved and approved it! And the vegan version is much healthier than the regular version with lots of cheese and cream.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 people
500 g pasta (e.g. macaroni)
150 g cashews
300 g butternut squash
225 ml oat milk
8 tbsp yeast flakes
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
1/2 tsp chipotle paste (or more smoked parika powder)
1 tsp tapioca starch (optional)
1. Soak the cashews in water for a least 2 hours.
2. Peel the butternut squash, cut it into cubes and microwave at 900W for 6 minutes until it is soft.
3. Drain the cashews. Put the cashews, butternut squash, oat milk, yeast flakes and spices into a food processor. Blend until the mixture is super creamy.
4. Cook the pasta according to instructions.
5. While the pasta is cooking, heat the sauce in a large pan on low heat (keep stirring as the mixture will burn otherwise). In a small bowl mix the tapioca starch with a splash of pasta water and add to the sauce while stirring.
6. When the pasta is cooked, add 6 tbsp of the pasta water to the sauce. Drain the pasta and mix with the creamy sauce. Season to perfection with salt and pepper, and top with fresh parsley.