It is finally October and, therefore "Oktoberfest" season. These vegan pretzels are perfect to serve with honey-mustard and vegan "Weißwurst", or just dip into some homemade hummus or any other dip!
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Portions: 8-10 pretzels
1 cube fresh yeast (42g)
500 g flour
300 ml water
1 pinch salt
1 litre water
40 g baking soda
sesame seeds or coarse salt
1. Dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water.
2. Put the flour into a large bowl and add the yeast-water. Knead into a soft dough. Last add the salt. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
3. Divide the dough into 8-10 equal dough balls, and form strings. The strings should be thick in the middle and get thinner towards both ends. To form the pretzels, place the strings in form of an “U” on your work surface, wrap the end of the strings around each other twice and gently press down the ends on the thick middle part of string.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
5. Heat the water in a large pot, reduce the heat and add the soda. Now immerse each pretzel for 30-60 into the water and remove with a ladle.
6. Place the pretzels on a baking tray with baking paper, and sprinkle with sesame seeds or salt.
7. Bake the pretzels for 20 minutes.