Paella is a Spanish classic, and this vegetarian version is absolutely delicious. The saffron gives the dish its typical flavor and great color, and the crispy halloumi on top rounds it all out.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Servings: 2 people
160 g paella rice
6 spring onions
2 garlic cloves
1 red pepper
15 cherry tomatoes
60 g green peas (frozen)
3 tsp smoked paprika powder
1 pinch saffron threads (abot 12 threads)
1 tsp lemon zest
650 ml vegetable stock
225 g halloumi
2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
1. Slice the spring onions and red pepper. Finely chop the garlic and halve the cherry tomatoes.
2. Heat some olive oil in a large pan and fry the vegetable for 3 minutes on high heat. Add the rice and spices, and fry for another minute.
3. Add vegetable stock until the rice is completely covered. Let simmer for about 15 minutes on medium heat until the rice is cooked. Regularly add more vegetable stock (you may not need all of it if the rice is cooked earlier). During the last minute, stir in the green peas and lemon zest.
4. Meanwhile, cut the halloumi into thick slices and fry with some olive oil until crispy.
5. Turn off the heat of the rice and season to perfection with salt and pepper.
6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon juice. Serve with crispy halloumi and lemon slices.