This is a typical Luxembourgish dish that is usually served with pork sausages (Wäinzoossis). Give the veggie version a try! I tend to use low-fat cream in all my recipes as it is an easy way to reduce total fat content in the diet without modifying the taste. However, cream should still be consumed in moderation as it is high in saturated fats. High saturated fat intake is linked to increased cholesterol levels and increased risk for cardiovascular diseases!
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Servings: 2 people
4 vegetarian sausages
250 g peas
50 g leek
3 leaves of fresh sage
600 g potatoes
60 ml milk
1 tsp nutmeg
100 g mustard (preferably Luxembourgish mustard)
75 ml cream (reduced fat)
250 ml milk
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Cook in vegetable stock for 15-20 minutes until they are soft.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the leek. For the sauce, mix milk, cream and mustard using an egg whisk.
3. In a small pot, heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil fry the leek for 2 minutes and add the peas. Fry for another 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and fresh sage. Turn down the heat to keep hot.
4. Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a pan and fry the vegetarian sausages until golden brown. Add the sauce and heat it with the sausages.
5. Drain the potatoes. Add 60 ml milk, 1 tsp nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mash the mixture until it is a creamy potato mash.
6. Put all the ingredients onto a plate and serve with mustard sauce.