Since I have discovered orzo, I could eat it every day because it is so delicious. I often use smoked paprika powder in my dishes as it gives the food a more smokey flavour. Smoked paprika is also perfect to add a meaty BBQ flavour to vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Servings: 2 people
525 ml vegetable orzo
230 g orzo
100 g leek
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
40 g walnuts
325 g cherry tomatoes
125 g baby spinach
50 g parmesan
3 tsp smoked paprika powder
1. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover.
2. Finely chop the leek and garlic. Heat some olive oil in a pan, fry leek and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the orzo and fry for another 2 minutes. Deglaze everything with white wine vinegar, lemon juice and vegetable stock, let simmer for 12 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
3. Roast the walnuts without oil in a pan until they start to smell, set aside.
4. Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes and wash the baby spinach.
5. In the same pan, fry the cherry tomatoes with smoked paprika powder for 3 minutes. Add the baby spinach and fry for another 2 minutes.
6. Cut the parmesan into thin slices. Mix half of the cheese with the tomato-spinach mixture and the cooked orzo. Season to perfection with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese, lemon zest and roasted walnuts.